Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Unicorn and the Egg (and other Easter designs)

Continuing with my post from last time...

This is another older card design (from 2009). Have I said before that I like the olde Renaissance style unicorns more than the present-day horse unicorns who are more associated with acid drenched rainbows and mountain vistas than gardens and pretty Renaissance maidens? When I was around 13 years old, my mother pinned up prints of the Unicorn Tapestries (from the MOMA cloisters) in my room. Then my grandmother gave me a book about Renaissance era unicorns at Christmas shortly afterward. Who knows why they wanted to impress me with unicorns and millefleur (it wasn't something I sought out or asked for, in other words). Anyway, the art made an impression even after I grew up, left home and the prints disappeared. I always seemed to be thinking and dreaming about millefleur through the years, even when I was making big statement art in my twenties and thirties (which I don't show on the web at the present time since it is adult & I wouldn't want to confuse my fantasy-artist/ethereal-musician public image, at least not at present). Ornate tapestries from the era are the only pieces of art that can make me cry. I like millefleur even more now than then, as natural paradises are bulldozed and modern, hard edges take up every available visual space in every aspect of our lives. 

Granted, this is a very unpopular niche to be in, especially in the art world. I am not a "serious artist" (and frankly surprised when this art was accepted by the jury at the Lower Adirondack Regional Arts Center for a show). Okay, I am not serious. And why should I be? My unicorn designs seem to appeal to 13 year olds and that seems fitting.

More Unicorns are here on my website.

Here is a close-up:


Giant eggs, eggs falling from the sky, celestial eggs & other assorted wacky Easter ideas are in some of the shops in my area as well as newly listed in my Etsy store here.

Celestial Egg:
Easter:


Bunny with Red and Gold Eggs:

How Spirit is Born:




Music MYSPACE (hear clips)
My Etsy on-line store and Artfire on-line store for purchasing some of my CDs and some of my art
My band site: Saratoga Faire
My Renaissance band MYSPACE: The Spirites Consort (hear clips)

No comments:

Post a Comment