Friday, September 10, 2010

Owain Phyfe and The New World Renaissance Band on the stereo while I'm in the kitchen


Two of my favorite CDs are from Owain Phyfe and the New World Renaissance Band: Live the Legend and Where Beauty Moves. I don't get to listen to them much because I'm always practicing my own instruments or doing my art.

But today I got a letter from Frank Orsini, our violinist, about a song we have been performing for about 5 years now called Maid in Bedlam. In the letter he said he had been listening to Owain Phyfe & that we were missing a ♣ magical ♣ chord that Owain had in his version of Maid in Bedlam.

Okay, so now I'll have to try to drum that chord into my head before the next gig (not easy when you can play it in your sleep without the ♣ magical ♣ chord). 

It just so happened that I was inundated with squash and basil today and had to spend the day in the kitchen dealing with it in one way or another, so I listened to both Live the Legend and Where Beauty Moves.

Then I remembered the last time I played the CDs (summer 2009) & had a chuckle. You might too if you read further:

It was a hot summer evening & the windows were open to keep the bedrooms cool. Our neighbors kept us up all night with a loud party, rap and hip hop music, drunken fights and slamming car doors. The party died down at about 4:30 A.M., just as the sun was coming out, some of the neighbors' friends crashing on a lawn. I got up at 7:00, took my stereo outside and blasted Owain Phyfe and The New World Renaissance Band in the direction of the party house (because, as I said before, it was one of my favorites). My house mate ran out to where I was playing the stereo and said, "Hey, you're being waaaayyy too nice blasting Owain Phyfe. Put on Drew Minter! Or even better yet, Tiny Tim!"

(links to these musicians are in grey... just click).

My band site: Saratoga Faire

No comments:

Post a Comment